While I haven’t been to any state fair other than the great Minnesota get together, I would be willing to make a wager that we have the best one in the country. You can get everything from Apple Pie to Walleye Cakes and all things in between. While they do have a few healthy options like fresh fruit on a stick, most things are deep-fried and I’d have it no other way. The Minnesota State Fair is he one time all year I can eat as much deep-fried food as I want and not feel too guilty. This year, I even had a mini donut beer brewed by Lift Bridge Brewing Company in Stillwater, Minnesota! Yes, I said a mini donut beer and it was deliciously rich with a touch of sweetness from its lovely sugared rim.
In order to make the most of our State Fair experience, my husband and I buy one of everything we want and split it. That way, we can sample more items. We also take lots of breaks in the shade to let the food settle 🙂 My favorite pit stop was Giggles Campfire Grill. They had a gorgeous new craft brew room with a cozy cabin feel showcasing large vaulted ceilings, cement floor and picnic tables. It even had a fireplace (not that you want that in the blazing heat but I’m sure its fabulous in the fall). The beer room had 20 beers on tap and a good selection of Minnesota wine’s. Grab a craft beer and a chicken fried bacon and you will be in heaven!
While I didn’t think we ate that much, by the time I left the fair I felt like total crap with all that salt and sugar rolling around in my belly. And when I look at the list below it’s a bit embarrassing. It sure tastes good at the time, but that salt and fat catches up with you quick in the hot sun. Next year, I might need to span shoving food in my mouth over 2 days verse eating everything at once. Or, I guess there is always eating less but that isn’t any fun.
Here is the embarrassing list of what we ate:
- Breakfast sausage/pancake corn dog with maple syrup dipping sauce (new food this year and it was my favorite)
- Green olives stuffed with cream cheese, breaded and deep-fried (new food this year and it was really good!)
- Roasted corn on the cob
- Sunny in a boat with lingonberry dipping sauce
- Mini donut beer (this is a new item I was skeptical of but it was surprisingly yummy, even for a girl like me who doesn’t like beer that much).
- Cheese Curds
- Cheese on a stick
- Sausage Sampler (they had a new bourbon-worst that was good)
- Deep fried pickle sampler (the cream cheese stuffed ones are the best)
- Fudge Puppy (I’m not a huge fan of sweets, but this is incredible!)
- Tub of Taffy (This we just buy and take home)
What’s your favorite food at the fair?