What’s my inspiration?
I was in the mood for both mexican and italian so this recipe seemed it would satisfy both cravings. Once again, I found it on Pinterest, my new obsession. I thought it would be good based on the ingredients, but I had no idea it would be a new favorite. I can’t even begin to explain how YUMMY this dish is! Taco meat is delicious alone but with cream cheese, I mean come on. Then, you stuff the mixture into pasta shells put them over a bed of salsa and smother with taco sauce and cheese?!? I’m getting hungry for them just typing this and I had them last night. I anticipate these to be a new staple in our home. I wonder what new word I could make up to categories this dish….Italican? Mexilian? Both sound fun 🙂 Also, I bet you could make this dish ahead of time and bring them to potlucks, etc. Regardless, they are a fun and unique option for many occasions. Enjoy!
- Pasta Shells: When cooking these, under-cook them so they are still al dente. About 6-7 minutes. They continue to cook in the oven and will become more tender.
- Cheese: You can use almost any kind of shredded cheese – cheddar, Colby jack, mexican, etc.
What you need:
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1 box jumbo pasta shells
- 1.5 cup salsa
- 1 cup taco sauce
- 1 bad cheddar jack cheese (2 cups total)
- 3 green onions
- Sour cream
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a frying pan cook ground beef; add taco seasoning and prepare according to package directions. Add cream cheese, cover and simmer until cheese is melted. Blend well. Set aside and cool completely.
- While ground beef is cooking, cook the pasta shells according to directions; drain and rinse with cold water. Set shells out individually on cutting board/baking sheet so that they don’t stick together.
- Pour salsa on bottom of 9×13 baking dish.
- Stuff each shell with the meat mixture. Place shells in 9×13 pan open side up.
- Cover shells with taco sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add shredded cheese and bake for 10-15 more minutes, with the foil removed.
- Top with any condiments you’d like (green onions, black olives, etc.)
- Serve with sour cream and/or more salsa.