What’s my inspiration?
I really enjoy eating vegetables, cooked, raw, whatever. And the more fun and creative you can get with the preparation, the more exciting they are to eat. I about died when I saw this recipe, brussels sprouts, pecans and avocado? I mean how can you go wrong. The best part is there are only 6 ingredients plus salt & pepper. Truly divine, easy preparation and impressive. The brussels sprouts paired with avocado give this dish a creamy bite. And the crunchy toasted pecans on top? I mean….wow. I also learned something by making this. Boiling the brussels sprouts in water prior to roasting them keep them moist and keep them from drying out in the oven. Give these a go, you won’t be disappointed. (Next time, I might throw some bacon in for extra deliciousness!)
Like brussels sprouts? Try my bacon brussels sprouts recipe too!
What you need?
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 2 1/2 pounds brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Hass avocado, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Spread the pecans in a pie plate and bake for 5 minutes, until toasted. Let cool, then coarsely chop. (I sometimes just toast them in a pan on the stovetop – much quicker!)
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the brussels sprouts and cook until bright green, about 2-3 minutes. Drain, cut in half and pat dry with paper towels.
- Toss the brussels sprouts with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and turn them cut sides down on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes, until nicely browned on the bottom; turn the baking sheet halfway through roasting.
- In a large bowl, toss the brussels sprouts with the pecans, avocado and thyme. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl. Drizzle with the vinegar and serve.