Source: Southern Food
What’s my inspiration:
Come on….doesn’t the title say it all? Bacon AND cream cheese in one mind-blowing appetizer? Yum–eee! These bite sized appetizers are quick easy and crowd pleasing. We even ended up cooking them in a tin foil pan on the grill verse in the oven. Give this a try for New Year’s Eve, you won’t be disappointed, I promise!
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms
- 4 Bacon slices diced
- 1/2 cup minced onion, or use part green onion
- 2 tablespoons Minced fresh green pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Pepper
- 3 ounces Cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs, plain
- 1/4 cup Hot water
What you do:
- Pre-heat oven or grill to 325 degrees.
- Clean mushrooms, remove and chop stems; set aside.
- Fry bacon in a heavy skillet. Remove with a slotted spoon and set on paper towels to drain.
- In bacon drippings, saute onion, green pepper, and chopped mushroom stems until tender; drain. Add salt and pepper.
- Soften cream cheese; blend in cooked bacon and vegetables.
- Press mixture firmly into mushroom caps, mounding a bit.
- Place bread crumbs in a small bowl. Turn filled mushroom caps upside down and press gently in the bread crumbs to coat tops.
- Place in a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking dish.
- Add hot water to pan and bake (or grill), uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes or until mushrooms are soft.
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen stuffed mushrooms.