Admission: I am obsessed with salsa negra with chipotle. Because it’s amazing. It’s amazing alone and it’s amazing as an ingredient (Check out this Shrimp with Spicy Chipotle Tomato Sauce recipe). It’s extra amazing when added to simple beef dishes like tacos, enchiladas or used as a steak marinade. It has a fantastic smokey flavor with a spicy kick. I wish I could claim this salsa recipe as my own, but it’s from Food & Wine magazine.
With any cooking obsession, I try to find a way to have it more often, with less effort and this is no exception. I typically make a triple batch, freeze it in a pan, cut it into 1/4 cup servings, wrap the individual servings in saran wrap and re-freeze it so they are ready to use! Talk about a quick and easy way to add some intense flavor to an otherwise simple dish like enchiladas. The recipe below is my uber simple enchilada recipe with a kick. Yes, the kick is the salsa negra with chipotle. Enjoy!
What you need:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded Cheese (Colby Jack Blend)
- 1/4 cup salsa negra with chipotle
- 10 Corn tortillas
What you do:
- Heat oven to 350
- Grease 9 x 13 pan
- Brown ground beef in a pan over medium heat
- Add in 1 cup shredded cheese, 1/2 can red enchilada sauce, 1/4 cup salsa negra with chipotle and stir until combined. Remove from heat.
- Cover tortillas with a damp paper towel and heat them in microwave for 45 seconds until pliable
- Scoop filling evenly into corn tortillas and roll up seam side down in pan
- Top enchilada’s with remainder of red enchilada sauce and shredded cheese
- Cook in 350 oven uncovered for 20 minutes
- Serve with Sour Cream