What’s my inspiration?
I was really just looking for a fresh, spring friendly salad that wasn’t the same ole’ thing. I love my pecan-crusted chicken so I thought I would throw it onto a salad with some other favorite things and see how it ended up. Plus, I wouldn’t just serve a straight up veggie salad for dinner. If the dish doesn’t have meat of some kind, my husband doesn’t think it qualifies as dinner 🙂 This recipe was delicious and light. It also made fabulous leftovers for lunch disguised as a wrap!
What you need:
- Spring green lettuce mix
- 1 can mandarin oranges
- 4 oz crumbled feta
- ¼ cup pecans
Pecan crusted chicken
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup pecan meal
- ¼ cup flour
- Salt and Pepper
- Poppy seed dressing
- If you can’t find pecan meal, put pecans in food processor until they are a fine powder. Or just finely dice with a knife.
- Don’t like poppy seed dressing? Use raspberry vinaigrette or balsamic.
- Substitute strawberries or blueberries if you don’t have or like mandarin oranges.
- Got Leftovers? Make it a wrap! Grab a tortilla and fill it up with chicken & salad.
- Serve this dish with a grilled garlic bread or Texas toast.
What you do:
Pecan Crusted Chicken:
- Mix together breadcrumbs and pecan meal.
- In 3 shallow pans, put flour in one, eggs in one and bread crumb / pecan mixture in the other. Season flour with salt and pepper.
- Place each chicken breast between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and seal edges. Using a meat mallet, pound out the chicken breasts until ¼ to ½ inch thick. The thinner they are, the faster they will cook.
- One piece at a time, coat chicken in flour, then egg, then in breadcrumb / pecan mixture. Shake off excess of flour, egg and breadcrumb / pecan mixture as you go. Set aside until all pieces are done.
- Cook any of the following ways (Pan frying is the most messy and slightly less healthy. Baking is the easiest way.):
- BAKE: Place chicken on a rack on top of a shallow pan or cookie sheet. Bake chicken at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through.
- PAN FRY: Pan fry chicken in 1/8 inch of EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) until cooked through. About 6-8 minutes per side on medium heat.
- GRILL: Place chicken on top rack of grill and cook at 300 for 20-30 minutes on indirect heat. Do NOT cook on bottom rack or nuts will burn.