What’s my inspiration?
It’s pizza…need I say more? Oh wait, Mexican pizza, even better! I saw a version of this recipe on the food network years ago. Over time, I have tweaked it and dumbed it down so it’s quicker to make. The original version I saw made the cornbread & spice mixture from scratch. I figured out over time that I could save time and money by using pre-packaged cornbread and store-bought taco seasoning. After I figured that out, this dish went from being a weekend dinner to a quick and easy weeknight dish. So dang good!!!
- Do you like a little spice in your life? Add some cayenne pepper or Sriracha to the ground beef mixture. Yum!!
- If you like a thicker “crust”, you can make this same dish in an oven proof skillet instead of a jelly roll / cookie sheet. You may just need to cook the cornbread a little longer since it’s thicker.
- Make sure to dice the green pepper, onion, tomato and lettuce before you start. Makes things less hectic in the kitchen.
What you need:
- 2 packages cornbread & muffin mix (I use Betty Crocker)
- Eggs, Butter & Milk according to cornbread & muffin mix directions.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning (I use McCormick)
- 1 packages shredded cheese (mexican, colby jack, cheddar, etc)
- 1 green pepper – finely diced
- 1 small onion – finely diced
- 1 tomato – finely diced
- Shredded lettuce
- Sour cream & taco sauce for topping if desired
- Pre-heat oven to 400
- Lightly grease jelly roll / cookie sheet (cookie sheet needs to have raised edges – about 1 inch)
- Mix up both packages of cornbread according to directions
- Spread cornbread mix evenly into jelly roll pan
- Bake in oven about 10 – 12 minutes or until edges are slightly brown – remove from oven
- While cornbread is cooking, brown ground beef
- Add taco seasoning & water to ground beef according to taco seasoning directions
- Spread ground beef evening on top of corn bread
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of ground beef
- Sprinkle diced green peppers and onions on top of cheese
- Return pizza to oven and bake for 7-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly – remove from oven
- Top with shredded lettuce & diced tomatoes
- Serve with sour cream and taco sauce if desired!