Hi – My name is Melissa and I have a diabetic cat. And yes, I’m one of those crazy people who feed their cat special diabetic cat food and give her 2 insulin shots per day. But it’s OK, my fat orange ‘Garfield’ like cat has inspired me to make amazing lasagna, so it’s OK, life is good.
I got my orange cat, Tekka, about 14 years ago from the Humane Society in Red Wing. We think she was about 6-9 months old at the time, so she is pushing 15 years old. She has followed me all over the twin cities as I moved from apartment to condo, to another condo, and to our current condo where we have lived almost 3 years. She has always been a little chubby. But, when my husband and I moved in together she really started to pack it on.
She has always been on a rationed diet, but loved cat treats, tuna and people food. Pepperoni was her favorite. She sat so nicely at the base of the table as Chris fed her scraps of meat. I’m sure she only sat nicely because she physically couldn’t jump up on the table.
Sadly, she started to drink TONS of water, howl at the walls and pee way more than normal (thank god it was still in the litter box). The howling is funny, but the rest of it, not so much. Apparently, all of these things were signs of…the dreaded feline diabetes. As the symptoms continued I finally took her to the doctor. Diagnosis…diabetes.
So now, due to a strict diet of $1.30/can cat food, my cute chubby cat is not so chubby anymore. She is like the feline version of Kirstie Alley. She went from 15 to 12 pounds, and fast. Se is also the lucky recipient of 2 insulin shots per day – 12 hours apart, 7am and 7pm. Seriously, it’s like we have a dog. If we travel, she either has to come with, or take a vaca to the parent’s house. But I don’t care. I continue to feed her the expensive food and give her shots. She’s to dang cute to…[insert gasp]…put her to sleep. Never.
Oh, and how does this relate to my lasagna recipe? Easy – cat loves pepperoni, orange cats like Garfield (and mine) love lasagna, pepperoni goes in lasagna for fat cat, fat cat eats pepperoni from lasagna…done, full circle. Totally makes sense right? Yeah, it does. So don’t question it, just make the lasagna, eat it yourself and don’t feed it to your cat.
What you need:
- 9 lasagna noodles (try using wheat)
- 1 lb sausage
- Pepperoni Slices (about 36 pieces)
- 1 – 15 oz container ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 ½ cups water
- Salt & Pepper
What you do:
- Pre-heat oven to 350
- Brown sausage on stove top
- Mix spaghetti sauce and water with cooked sausage
- Cheese Mixture: In medium bowl combine ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella, parmesan, eggs, salt and pepper to taste
- In 13 x 9 pan, add 1 cup of the sauce mixture
- Layer 3 lasagna noodles, 1/3 of the cheese mixture, 1/3 of the pepperoni and 1 cup sauce
- Repeat layers until noodles, cheese mixture, pepperoni and sauce are gone. **Make sure sauce is the last layer on top.
- Top with remaining mozzarella cheese
- Cover with tin foil and bake in oven for 45 minutes. Remove foil and cook for 10 more minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes so it can set up
- Slice and Serve with Texas toast