Source: Inspired by Better Homes and Gardens
What you need:
- 1 pie pastry (homemade or store-bought)
- 6 cups thinly sliced, peeled cooking applies (about 2.5 lbs)
- ¾ cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Directions: Combine flour & sugar. Use pastry blender to cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. You can do this by hand with a fork.
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 375
- Line 9 inch pie pan with round pie pastry, trim as desired
- Stir together sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add apples and gently toss until coated
- Put apple mixture in pastry lined pan.
- Sprinkle crumb topping over apples
- To prevent over-browning, use tin foil to cover edge of the pie.
- Bake for 40 minutes
- Remove foil and bake for 20 more minutes more until fruit is tender and filling is bubbling
- Let cook on wire rack and serve with vanilla ice cream!