Source: Adopted from Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book
A couple of weeks ago, I cleaned out my freezer top to bottom. I couldn’t stop laughing as I pulled out banana after banana. The total you ask? I’m a little ashamed to admit it, but there were 22. Yup…22 whole bananas in my freezer. Crazy? Maybe a little. However, I hate to waste food that can be frozen and re-made into a tasty treat. That day, I vowed to make more banana related items on a more frequent basis.
The bananas started to pile up again and I was sick of making banana bread. This time, I went with muffins. I ended up having to make these 2 times, 2 nights in a row and not because we ate the first batch. I screwed them up the first time. I fully admit I am more of a cook than a baker because I don’t really like following recipes exactly. The first time I made these, I forgot the brown sugar in the streusel and they tasted like burnt flour on top. Yuck. The second time around was much more successful. Lesson learned? Yes. When baking, follow the directions exactly or it won’t turn out!
What you need:
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- 1 beaten egg
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- 1 cup mashed banana
Streusel Topping (Optional):
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts
- Mix flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. Stir in nuts – set aside.
- DO NOT use paper baking cups for these muffins
- Have left over bananas from the week like me? Throw them in the freezer and thaw for recipes. They taste amazing!
- Nuts: Use any kind you like. My favorite is pecans!
- I highly recommend the Streusel topping – its delicious.
- I bet you could add a few chocolate chips to these. Yum!
What you do:
- Grease 12 – 2 ½ inch muffin cups – set aside
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nuts. Make a well in center of mixture – set aside
- In another bowl combine egg, milk, oil, and banana. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Stir just until moist. Batter will be lumpy.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups filling each 2/3 full.
- If desired, sprinkle muffins with streusel topping
- Bake in 400-degree oven for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown and a wooden toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes; remove from muffin cups and serve!