Since the farmers market is in full swing mode, that means fresh produce is available including jalapeños! I made these Jalapeño bites for the first time today since last summer. Making these again reminded me of last year when my younger brother, Nick, was back home from Vegas for the weekend. The only thing he wanted to do was go boating on the MIssissippi. He called his friend Curt, we grabbed some food, drinks and headed out. We met his Curt and went out on his ski boat. We spent the 1st part of the day attempting to wakesurf. I say attempting because I was the only one who had major troubles with this task. I consider myself an athletic person and can water ski & wakeboard, but this dang wake surfing got the best of me. Of course, my ultra talented, and younger brother got right up on the first try. After what I felt was an exhausting 1st half of the day, we headed to the beach.
Curt’s entire family was there which included 3 more boats full of people, dogs and the best part…the jalapeño cream cheese bites. Curt’s brother in-law Brian, had these amazing little appetizers wrapped up in tinfoil and cooked them in the fire pit on the beach. I was hesitant at first but when I tasted one, it was love at first bite. My husband and I were absolutely dying to try them on our own. The very next day we did and they have been a summer staple for us ever since. They are definitely an indulgence and by no means low calorie. Regardless, they are a crowd pleaser and worth it. I hope you enjoy these as much as we do.
What you need:
- 6 Jalapeños
- 4 oz Cream Cheese
- 24 slices hard salami (Small round)
- 24 toothpicks
What you do:
- Cut stems off jalapeños, remove seeds and slice into quarters
- Spread cream cheese down center of salami
- Place slice of jalapeño in center of salami on top of cream cheese
- Roll up and secure with toothpick
- Place rolled jalapeño bites into tinfoil pan
- Cook any of the below ways:
- Grill at 375 for 30-40 minutes
- Bake in oven at 375 for 30-40 minutes
- Cook on top of a Campfire.